Tuesday, March 16, 2010

School Report on Golden Chalice

I received a nice email yesterday from a junior high school student that wanted to do an art report on my work, in particular, my painting Golden Chalice. I have never had such a request and I felt very honored.

She had asked me for some background information on my painting and inspiration behind Golden Chalice. I thought I would share my response with you here, perhaps to shed a little more insight into my work.

Golden Chalice, 2009. Oil and oilbar on canvas, 56 x 78.

Here’s my response:

I am a native of Colorado, and Golden Chalice is inspired by the Colorado skies I have come to know so well. I create my paintings from things I have imagined, memories, places I want to go, and beautiful skies that I would like to see. Golden Chalice is a sky that I imagined. I want to create the sense of peace, serenity and beauty in this painting. My goal as an artist is to transport the viewer of the painting away from worries to a more peaceful place. I feel we could all use more moments of tranquility. That is what I strive to do with my work.

I like to make large paintings because I feel the large paintings best communicate the vast and infinite sky. I like my paintings to engulf the viewer, so that when looking at my paintings, all that is in the immediate range of sight is sky. I love vibrant, bright colors, which is why I chose such strong colors in Golden Chalice. I imagine Golden Chalice to be a late evening summer sky, just as the sun is setting. It is right after a storm, and the dark clouds are moving away from the setting sun, allowing for a beautiful display of color and light. I love the idea that after a storm there can be such a stunning sky. I find it very hopeful.

Golden Chalice took me a month to create, working every day. I don't always have a very clear idea of the way the painting will turn out until I start working. As I am painting I decide how it will evolve. I don't do any planning or sketching beforehand. I just let my mind wander.

2 comments:

  1. Laura,
    Your paintings are so very beautiful! I love how you've captured my favorite times of day which are sunrise and sunset. It is amazing to me that you haven't worked from photos and that these incredible works of art are from your mind!

    I'm happy to have discovered your art. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Itaya! Your kind comments mean so much to me. I had a chance to visit your blog, your work is wonderful! Your artist statement really resonates with me. I couldn't agree more. Thanks again!

    P.S. I'm happy to have discovered your art as well!

    ReplyDelete