Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pinhole Perspectives

Two weeks ago I wrote a post about my idea to build a pinhole camera, in the effort to find a new hazy, dreamlike perspective. I was hoping to apply those results to my paintings. After three hours of camera construction I had built my first pinhole, and was ready to shoot some photos.

It took a bit of time and adjustment to get used to the idea that I would not have instant results with these photos. I wasn’t sure if any would turn out, but in a way, that anticipation was refreshing. Below are some of the best shots from my first roll of film. I would like to take some of the elements and distorted light from these photos, and apply that in my next painting. Although I don’t work from photos, I feel this was a nice project to see light and sky a bit differently. As an artist, the pinhole perspective inspires me. My current direction is dreamlike and soft. I would like my next painting to appear as if the viewer is seeing beautiful dreams through the lens of a pinhole. I will keep you posted on my next painting influenced by my pinhole experiment.

P.S. Interesting fact: Pinhole photography is the oldest form of photography dating back to as early as 500 B.C.





No comments:

Post a Comment