Wednesday, February 10, 2010

So Emotional

“A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.” –Paul Cezanne.

Recently I came across the above quote, and it resonated with me. I have always believed that if my work wasn’t emotional, it wasn’t anything; it simply becomes decorative.

I view my paintings as diaries from the period of my life in which they were created. I place every thought and emotion I am experiencing at the time into the work. Looking back at older works, I can recall feelings from the time that they were created.

Typically artists have been branded as being very emotional and sensitive, and I am no exception. However, I have to question why this stereotype carries a negative connotation. Isn’t it the artist’s role to communicate emotions and ideas through art? I think it makes life all the more beautiful.


2 comments:

  1. Wow. Cool new work! It definitely utters a few emotions I would say.

    ReplyDelete