Monday, December 21, 2009

Winter Solstice Fire and Ice

In honor of the winter solstice today, I thought it fitting to write something about the shortest day of the year. I am fascinated by the sun setting low against a frigid, icy atmosphere, and the winter light unique only to this time of year. While it may be the shortest, darkest day, the sky can be brilliant with color.

The painting posted below reflects my attraction to the winter sky. I was especially interested in the contrast of the warmth of the sun against the wintry sky. I love the idea that even on the darkest, coldest day of the year there is a sense of hope and beauty from the setting sun, emitting vibrant, strong colors. It gives me peace.

Winter Solstice Fire and Ice, 2007. Gouache and soft pastel on watercolor paper. 35 x 43.

No comments:

Post a Comment