Friday, September 17, 2010

Every Painter Should Read This Book

Fig, Joe. Inside the Painter's Studio. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2009.

I recently picked up a copy of Inside the Painter’s Studio, an insightful book by artist, Joe Fig. I was captivated. The author interviews inspirational painters such as Chuck Close, Ryan McGinness, and April Gornik along with beautiful photos of their studios. Each artist is given a set of questions to answer pertaining to their studio and the creative process that occurs within the studio walls. Each answer provides greater comprehension into the mysterious creative process. As I read the responses, I found myself relating to this sometimes difficult-to-articulate, intangible artistic process. It made me much more aware of the great importance of a good workspace, allowing for the maximum amount of pure, uninterrupted creative thought and expression.

I especially loved artist, Ross Bleckner’s response to the question, “Do you have a motto or a creed that as an artist you live by?”

Life is short. Life goes fast. And what I really want to do in my life is to bring something new, something beautiful, and something filled with light into the world. I try to think of that every day so that I can remember why I am coming to my studio. And then the other thing is, just go, just show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment